When preparing the legacy data to be ingested to your archive account, we have prepared some guidelines for you to follow that will hopefully aid a trouble free experience.
The View archive can successfully import a variety of mail file formats, and has adopted a standard of preparation that is replicated for all file formats, whether PST, zipped EML/ RFC822, MBOX.
Requirements For all File Types
- No co-mingling of file types in a single directory or folder (example: different file types contained in a zip file)
- Supported compression formats: zip, tar, gz, 7z
- Avoid special characters and spaces in all file names or directory names.
- File extensions must be lowercase (.eml and not .EML)
- Hierarchy of files should be less than 5 levels deep
- Compressed file names should contain the company's name or sub-domain.
Special PST Format Import Guidance
The *PST (Personal Storage) file format is used by Microsoft Outlook to store messages on local desktops and network drives.
Individual uncompressed PST files sent for import should be no larger than 45 G in size.
When sending PST files for import, the PST files themselves must not be secured with any password protection.
The PST file may be encrypted in a password-protected 7-zip file (see below) and the 7-zip files may be copied to the drive for shipment.
When using 7-zip for PST files, please create a separate 7-zip file for each PST file.
PST files may be generated either: > directly by your users OR > via an automated application such as exmerge, which extracts messages from your Exchange Server into a collection of pst files.
*The PST file format can hold information other than just messages. For example, tasks, notes and contacts. We will only ingest message data.