Google’s G Suite Mail
Basic & Business editions
Archiving with G Suite and View Archive Service
Using G Suite Admin control panel & SMTP for collection
IT Administrators looking to configure the Google Apps mail platform to populate their email archive account. It is designed for those using the BASIC and BUSINESS GSUITE Plans.
Google Apps does not provide a native journaling solution within to populate external archive solutions without upgrading to Google's GSUITE Enterprise Plan. However utilizing the Google Apps technologies, you can configure Google Apps Mail to submit a copy of all email to an external mailbox/smtp address.
It should be noted that the solution is not documented as supported by Google for the purposes of a Journaling feature. The solution is not warranted to be perfect, but may provide you with the desired results to help towards attaining compliance.
Customer adopting this solution should be aware of the following known conditions:
- Your message delivery threshold may be impacted on a daily basis if your organisation transits over 10,000 messages every day (including internal messages)
- Google Apps will generate a copy message per recipient. This will result in duplication of messages in the archive account.
- BCC Recipients may not be shown correctly when copied to the 'GMAIL Journal mailbox'
It is the responsibility of the company employing this solution to validate it is working as desired. View Archive Service Providers provide no warranty in respects to these guidelines provided.
It is also recommended that monitors/verification checks are applied frequently to ensure the service is working as desired. This can be accomplished by ensuring the administrators of the archive account receive daily notifications of indexing activities.
- Access to the Google GSUITE control panel
- Access to a View Archiving account and locate the journal mailbox address
Configuration Summary Steps:
Obtain the Archive Mailbox Journal Address
Login to Google using the Google Admin account
Select the Apps icon
Select the G Suite Icon
Gmail services will be listed. Scroll to the bottom and select the “Advanced Settings”
Create/Edit a Routing Rule*
Save all settings
NOTE: Sonian advises that this documentation for google apps integration was correct at the time of compilation, it may not reflect any changes applicable due to any product updates by Google, now or in the future. This integration comes without any warranty. General support of the Google account should be sought via the
- The routing rule is designed to capture ALL email within the customer’s Google account, this means that any bcc email will also be copied as a single mail to the archive. Note that this method will generate duplications in the archive, as google will submit each recipient (internally) as a separate copy to the archive.
View Archive Collector Setup
There will be nothing to configure on the View Archive service to receive new copies of email from your Google Apps mail service, only to obtain the unique SMTP Journal Mailbox address for your archive account.There will be nothing to configure on the View Archive service to receive new copies of email from your Google Apps mail service, only to obtain the unique SMTP Journal Mailbox address.
Please review this article here:
To obtain the Journal Mailbox address
- Log on to the View Archive as an Administrator
- Select Settings
- Select ‘Manage’ of the Collectors feature
Copy the unique archives journal mailbox address. This will be needed for the configuration of your compliance rule(s) in Google’s G Suite.
This is an example only
Configuring the G Suite account to generate copies of all email
- Access your Google’s Admin portal (e.g. admin.google.com)
- Select the Apps Icon
- Select the ‘G Suite’ Icon
- Select ‘Gmail’
- Navigate to ‘Advanced Settings’
- Search or Scroll the page to locate the sub-heading ‘ Routing’
- Select ‘Configure’
- Enter a description or name for the configuration; e.g View Archiving
- Select the Email messages to affect options:
- Internal - Sending
- Internal - Receiving
- Continue to configure the rule,
Scroll to ‘Also deliver to’, enter the check box
‘Also deliver to’ - cont.
This will be the configuration for delivering to your View Archive account.
- Select Advanced
- Enter the View Archive Journal Address
Scroll to SAVE
Verification of journaling
Test by means of message submission that emails are being copied to the new journal mailbox. Test using multiple different recipient/sender combinations, internal and external, examples are suggested below.
Internal: To, To & CC, To & Bcc, To & CC & BCC
Internal to external: To, To & CC, To & Bcc, To & CC & BCC
Internal to external & Internal combinations: To, To & CC, To & Bcc, To & CC & BCC
External to Internal: To, To & CC, To & Bcc, To & CC & BCC
External to External & Internal combinations: To, To & CC, To & Bcc, To & CC & BCC
It is imperative that you evaluate all of the above types of scenarios to ensure that the 'archiving of your data' is working as you require it to do so. Note that constraints of what GMAIL basic and business plans do not provide a full compliant journaling feature.
View Archiving will not de-duplicate any data submitted to the archive, therefore using this solution, it should be expected that duplication will happen as a copy for each recipient will appear in the archive.
Please sign in to leave a comment.